Creating a SharePoint 2010 master page for a custom footer is very easy to do. Follow these simple steps to make a custom footer for your site.
For this exercise, we will be using a Publishing site. The difference between a Publishing site and a team site is the added layer of checking in/out files before publishing or previewing a live version. If you are not using a Publishing site, please disregard the related steps below.
- Copy Master Page
- Open site using SharePoint Designer 2010
- Click Master Pages in the left navigation pane
- Right click v4.master and select Copy, then paste
- Rename the New Master Page
- From the Ribbon, click Rename
- Type “Customfooter.master” (or any other name you choose)
- Edit the CSS Inline
- From the Ribbon, click Check Out
- Then, click Edit File
- Select Split View
- In code, find: <SharePoint:DeveloperDashboard runat=”server”/>.
- Add the following code just below the code listed above:
<div class=”s4-notdlg” style=”clear: both; background-color: #FEAD30; padding: 10px;”> © Copyright XXXX 2013, All Rights Reserved </div>
- Click Save. If prompted, click Yes to overwrite existing site definition.
- Apply Default Master Page
- Click Master Pages from left navigation pane
- Select the row for Customfooter.master (or whatever you named your new file), BUT NOT the title itself.
- From the Ribbon, click Set to Default.
- Then, click Check In.
- View Your Changes
- Click Save
- Open site in browser, or click Preview in Browser
This information is shared courtesy of a fellow colleague, Larry Cureton. Follow him on Twitter (@llcureton) for more SharePoint related insight.